We’re serious about promoting a healthy, active lifestyle at our Four Seasons in Cumberland community. From pickleball and tennis to weight-training and swimming, we know our 55-plus homeowners are happier and healthier when they are moving. Cooking for yourself is another way to create a healthier lifestyle. You can control the ingredients, portions and preparation methods when you make your meals at home.
Here are 10 ways you can be a healthier and happier cook in your Schaeffer kitchen:
- Be mindful. Make conscious food choices. Pay attention to what – and how – you’re eating. Prepare your food. Taste it. Savor it. Enjoy it.
- Become an educated eater. Make an effort to learn how to cook and eat healthy. Brush up on healthy foods and recipes. Learn how to plan and create your own healthy meals.
- Eat more fruits and veggies.Aim for 4 to 13 servings a day, in a range of colors. Add them to soups, stews, omelets, pasta, rice, sauces, etc.
- Eat less meat. And when you do eat meat, make sure it’s lean. Eat small servings, and make sure the majority of your plate is veggies and whole grains.
- Keep it simple. Delicious, healthy meals don’t require you to be a world-class chef. Choose good quality ingredients and keep your cooking techniques simple.
- Learn various cooking techniques. Experiment with stir-fry. Roast vegetables on a sheet pan. Try packets made from parchment or aluminum foil. Even if you’re having salmon every day, you can prepare it differently each time!
- Make it easier whenever you can.Buy bagged and shredded cabbage and carrots, and pre-chopped greens. Use frozen bags of vegetables (peas, corn, pearl onions) in soups and stews. Keep canned beans on hand to throw into dishes.
- Make your kitchen fun and functional.Organize your pantry and cabinets so you can find things easily. Keep fresh fruits and veggies on the counter where they’re accessible. Play music when you’re cooking. Clean up when you’re done.
- Plan meals ahead of time.Wash, cut and peel fruits and veggies for snacks and meals. Batch cook grains, like rice and quinoa. Portion out snacks like nuts and berries. These shortcuts help make sure you eat healthier.
- Focus on flavor. It’s easier to eat healthy if food tastes good. Flavor your foods with fresh herbs, unique spices or even citrus. Add vegetable or chicken stock to grain dishes. Make your own vinaigrettes for salads, grains or veggie dishes.
With tips like these, you’re sure to master healthier living in your home at Four Seasons in Cumberland!
The Schaeffer Family is dedicated to the mission of providing families in New Jersey with quality built, affordably priced new homes for over 60 years. Visit SchaefferFamilyHomes.com or cal 856-208-5118 for more information.