Creating a Relaxing and Beautiful Master Suite
Everyone loves to visit model homes, getting to experience a perfectly designed home that you can only dream of! (Who hasn’t envisioned having a luxurious spa bathroom?) While living in a professionally decorated home may not be in your budget, you can use some designer “tricks of the trade” to create memorable spaces for yourself and your family.
To begin with:
- Timeless design will adapt to a growing family. Beware of anything that’s too trendy.
- Choose classic finishes and colors for anything permanent (i.e. flooring, wall paneling).
- Make a statement with furnishings, art, and accessories.
Regardless of its design, your home should reflect you! Especially in the “personal” spaces like the bedrooms. Next to the family room, the master suite is probably the most common family hub. Kids, pets, laundry, toys, stacks of books, art projects… everything winds up here at some point. Yet this space should be your oasis, a sanctuary that is beautiful and practical. Here are some tips for creating an enticing master suite.
- Look at your basics. How old is your mattress? Your pillows? Your sheets? If you can’t remember, it’s time to replace them. You deserve a good mattress, comfortable pillows and quality bedding.
- Color theory. The colors you choose matter. Serene hues, like pale blues, greens, lavenders and greys, are soothing. Classic black and white never goes out of style, and is easy to switch around. Browns are warm and comforting.
- Accessorize. Once you have a color palette and the basics, choose accessories that are useful and relaxing. Good lighting – overhead fixtures and lamps – is practical and decorative. A chaise longue or reclining chair is perfect for creating a cozy reading nook or cuddle corner. If you must have a TV in the bedroom, make it as unobtrusive as possible.
- Indulge yourself. This is your personal space, so feel free to be whimsical… intense accent colors, animal prints, playful patterns, inspiration from hobbies, travel or a special location. Go for an upholstered headboard in a luxurious fabric or a dramatic wallpaper that feels decadent. It’s your space, make it special.
- Organization is key. Once the hectic pace of life takes over, you’ll be so grateful that your closet is organized, the dresser is neat, and everything has a place. It requires some discipline, but hanging clothes up and putting things away will make you feel less stressed.
- The spa bath. The bathroom is a greatway to give yourself a little luxury. Organic materials like marble or granite add a sense of grounded sophistication, while good quality accessories and fixtures can make your master bath feel like it’s in a 4-star hotel. Match your towels to the colors you chose for the bedrooms so there is a sense of continuity.
At Schaeffer Family Homes, we design our master suites to be spacious and comfortable – the perfect base for you to create a space that’s all your own. Learn more at SchaefferHomes.com or call us at 856-208-5118.